Mary, Queen of Scots is one of those divisive but fascinating 16th-century personalities. For some, she is the queen who was ruled by her heart and made reckless decisions, to others she is a tragic victim, and to others still, she is the rival of Elizabeth I who actively plotted against the English queen.
But who was Mary, Queen of Scots?
In this detailed course, historian and author Claire Ridgway will take you through Mary's life chronologically, from the background of the royal House of Stewart, through Mary's life, right through to her legacy.
The Life of Mary, Queen of Scots course will include the following topics:
- Mary’s background – The Stewarts of Scotland and Mary’s immediate family
- Mary’s early life in Scotland and the Rough Wooing
- France – Mary’s education and upbringing in France, her marriage and time as queen consort
- Mary’s return to Scotland – The Scottish situation and the cousin queens
- Mary’s troubled marriage to Lord Darnley
- Mary and the Earl of Bothwell, imprisonment in Scotland and abdication
- Mary’s escape to England and her imprisonment there
- The plots against Elizabeth and the Casket Letters
- Mary’s fall, trial and execution
- The legacy of Mary, Queen of Scots
- Mary, Queen of Scots’ places
The Life of Mary, Queen of Scots course will also include:
- End of unit quizzes
- Family tree
- Recommended further reading and links to primary sources for your own research
- End of course certificate
Note: This is an online course of downloadable or streaming video and audio lectures (plus transcripts) which can be done in your own time and you have lifetime access to the course once you have signed up and paid. There is no set start or end date, you can do it at your own pace. It is open internationally.
Click on the "Buy Now" tab to sign up and purchase.
Click on "Full description" to find out more and click on the "Buy Now" tab to sign up and purchase.
- Buy NOW
- What's included
- Course Expert
- Gift Certificate
- Streaming video lessons plus downloadable audio mp3 files.
- Downloadable PDF transcripts of each lesson.
- End of unit quizzes.
- Resources - Where to find primary sources on Mary, Queen of Scots.
- Family tree
- Bibliography and further reading list.
- End of course certificate.
Claire Ridgway is the founder of The Anne Boleyn Files and Tudor Society websites. She has published ten Tudor history books, including The Boleyns of Hever Castle (co-written with Dr Owen Emmerson), The Fall of Anne Boleyn: A Countdown and The Anne Boleyn Collection, and is co-author of a biography of George Boleyn, Anne Boleyn's brother. Claire has written many guest posts for Tudor history websites and blogs, and has also written for BBC History Extra and History of Royals magazine.
Claire has been researching Anne Boleyn and Tudor history full-time since February 2009 and enjoys sharing her research on the Anne Boleyn Files website, with Tudor Society members, through her YouTube channel and social media.
Make the day of a history lover with these gift certificates...
Claire Ridgway introduces this course on Mary, Queen of Scots.
|Unit 1||Course Launches 1 September!|