In our latest online history course, The History of the Borgias, you can learn all about the Borgias from historian Samantha Morris, author of Cesare Borgia in a Nutshell.
This nine-unit course examines the history of the infamous Borgia family, from their humble beginnings in Spain to their meteoric rise during the reign of Pope Alexander VI. The family have been the victims of hatred and baseless rumour from their own time right up to the present day, whispers of incest and murder attaching to the name of the family which has proven incredibly difficult to shake off. This course will examine the lives of the members of the Borgia family and examine the legacy of the family which has filtered down to the modern day.
The course consists of nine video lessons (also available as audios and PDF transcripts) and there are eight quizzes, a further reading list and an end of course certificate. Here are the units:
- Lesson 1 - Introduction and Italy during the Renaissance - In this lesson, Samantha briefly introduces how Italy was as a country during the Italian Renaissance and explains how the country was split up into states ruled by their own princes.
- Lesson 2 - The Rise of the Borgias - In this lesson, Samantha examines the humble beginnings of the Borgia family and the rise of Alfonso de Borja (Borgia) from the bottom of the Church ladder through to his becoming a Cardinal and Pope.
- Lesson 3 - Rodrigo Borgia as Cardinal - In lesson 3, Samantha explains Rodrigo Borgia's role in the Roman Catholic Church as Papal Vice Chancellor. In this lesson we will also see the introduction of Rodrigo Borgia's famous children alongside his wheeling and dealing in the Papal Conclaves.
- Lesson 4 - Cesare in the Church - Samantha examines Cesare Borgia's early, and unwanted, career in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lesson 5 - Cesare the Soldier - In this lesson, Samantha examines how Cesare Borgia became the first cardinal to resign from the College of Cardinals following the death of his brother and how he rose to nobility in the French Court. We will examine his marriage and how he began his campaign to take the Papal States by military force.
- Lesson 6 - Cesare's Downfall - Cesare Borgia's downfall was swift following the death of his father. This lesson examines his downfall and his lonely death outside a small town in Navarre.
- Lesson 7 - Lucrezia as Duchess of Ferrara - Samantha examines Lucrezia Borgia's life at the Este Court in Ferrara following her third marriage to Alfonso d'Este.
- Lesson 8 - The Borgia Murders - Murder is a topic constantly linked to the Borgia family. This lesson concentrates on three particular case studies of murders linked with Cesare Borgia and aims to come to a conclusion as to whether or not he was guilty of these murders.
- Lesson 9 - The Borgia Legacy - In this final module, Samantha examines the legacy of the Borgia family and how the rumours of incest, devil worship and murder developed into something seen in modern day adaptations of their story.
It's just $20 for lifetime access. Click here to view a video about the course, to read more and to sign up.
Note: This is an online course of downloadable or streaming video and audio lectures (plus transcripts) which can be done in your own time and you have lifetime access to the course once you have signed up and paid. There is no set start or end date, you can do it at your own pace. It is open internationally.